Monday, May 19, 2008

Don't be a slave to your technology


I had a fun Sunday by the pool at my friend's housing complex yesterday, but I witnessed something that really disturbed me... In the pool were two sisters, I'd say around 8 and 12, with their dad- just laughing and playing in the water. They all had goggles on and were having a contest to see who could hold their breath the longest. It was just a sweet little sight... After what was roughly an hour, a lady comes in through the gate around the pool and the younger of the two sisters lights up, saying, "oooh mommy, you look so pretty!" The woman did look glamorous, with her big sunglasses and a scarf tied like a headband, with a long dress-like swimsuit cover-up. Get this though, the mom said nothing, and didn't acknowledge her little girl! I was thinking, she must not have heard her daughter enthusiastically compliment her because there's no way those words wouldn't bring a smile to the mom's face! The little girl says it again, this time a little louder, "wow, mommy, you look sooo pretty!" I am not kidding, I honestly didn't notice an inch of a reaction from the mom. And here's where I got annoyed- the mom just walked right by her family, and sat at the patio table, propped behind her laptop, the entire time. That's right- she didn't play, she didn't dive in the water and splash around with her daughters, laugh with her husband, build some quality memories on a nice summer day, but instead, worked on something that was clearly, "more important."
It just breaks my heart to think that we can be too busy, too controlled by our 24/7 society, that we miss out on incredibly wonderful, important and special life moments. Turn off your blackberry. Turn off your computer. Just turn off from work once in a while, and dive in and play!

No comments: