Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Finish your toughest task, first thing in the morning...


I just had a great coaching call with one of my clients, where I asked him what he felt, thus far, has been the biggest "aha" or most powerful nugget of information since working together. He thought about that for a bit and said it would have to be, completing the toughest task on his list, first thing in the morning. He said it's made such an impact in his work days, to knock out something that he would normally put off until later in the day.
I LOVE this answer, because it truly can be one of the most transforming habits, if you put it into practice. Yes, this includes completing your biggest task even before checking your email. Sorry folks, but it's true. Email takes us off in so many directions, without us even realizing it, so that before we know it, we've spent an hour chasing random tangents, that have no close impact to our bottom line. Also, if you're still not convinced, consider the 80/20 rule- that 20% of your efforts produce 80% of your results, and 20% of an 8 hour day is 96 minutes... Now we easily spend an hour to an hour and a half on email with our morning cup of coffee- but the reality is, most of us are our freshest in the morning, so wasting that time on email actually decreases our earning potential. Seriously! And if you're digging your heels in the ground or think that I don't understand your line of work- prove me wrong! Please- I'm totally serious! Practice this for 10 days, and let me know if it doesn't improve your productivity, and overall effectiveness of your day. Deal? By the way, I think frogs are more creepy and gross than snakes, so I do NOT like the picture I used here- but hopefully you'll remember it!

No comments: